Quick note on a tool I've been working on to parse citations, that is to take a series of strings such as:
- Möllendorff O (1894) On a collection of land-shells from the Samui Islands, Gulf of Siam. Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London, 1894: 146–156.
- de Morgan J (1885) Mollusques terrestres & fluviatiles du royaume de Pérak et des pays voisins (Presqúile Malaise). Bulletin de la Société Zoologique de France, 10: 353–249.
- Morlet L (1889) Catalogue des coquilles recueillies, par M. Pavie dans le Cambodge et le Royaume de Siam, et description ďespèces nouvelles (1). Journal de Conchyliologie, 37: 121–199.
- Naggs F (1997) William Benson and the early study of land snails in British India and Ceylon. Archives of Natural History, 24:37–88.
and return structured data. This is an old problem, and pretty much a "solved" problem. See for example AnyStyle. I've played with AnyStyle and it's great, but I had to install it on my computer rather than simply use it as a web service. I also wanted to explore the approach a bit more as a possible a model for finding citations of specimens.
Loving Sylvester Keil's AnyStyle reference parser https://t.co/pcbvctr5vf, but not loving the whole Ruby experience (whadda mean I need to upgrade Ruby on my Mac to install it?). Oh for a Docker version of a web service... still, very cool tool.— Roderic Page (@rdmpage) July 7, 2020
After trying to install the underlying conditional random fields (CRF) engine used by AnyStyle and running into a bunch of errors, I switched to a tool I could get working, namely CRF++. After figuring out how to compiling a C++ application to run on Heroku I started to wonder how to use this as the basis of a citation parser. Fortunately, I had used the Perl-based ParsCit years ago, and managed to convert the relevant bits to PHP and build a simple web service around it.
Although I've abandoned the Ruby-based AnyStyle I do use AnyStyle's XML format for the training data. I also built a crude editor to create small training data sets that uses a technique published by the author of the blogging tool I'm using to write this post (see MarsEdit Live Source Preview). Typically I use this to correctly annotate examples where the parser failed. Over time I add these to the training data and the performance gets better.
This is pretty much a side project or a side project, but ultimately the goal is to employ it to help extract citation data from publications, both to generate data to populate (BioStor), and also start to flesh out the citation graph for publications in Wikidata.
If you want to play with the tool it is at https://citation-parser.herokuapp.com. At the moment it takes some citation strings and returns the result in CSL-JSON, which is becoming the default way to represent structured bibliographic data. Code is on GitHub.